It's been a while, but sometimes old ground is worth revisiting.
Recall the West Bend Library porn in the Young Adult section issue. Numerous times I had pointed out HERE and HERE and HERE that it appeared our Young Adult librarian at the West Bend Community Memorial Library seemed to have an agenda that targeted the youth of our community. Now that time has passed and she has her ALA nanny, it appears she is becoming lax and allowing the world to see the truth.
As a case in point, let's take a look at our Young Adult Librarian's Facebook page as it looks today -HERE. (Be assured this link won't last long, but have no fear, I took screen shots for another day.)
Just a few favorites on our YA librarian's list:
I Support Wisconsin Gay Community
Obama Endorses "don't ask, don't tell" compromise in Congress
Being liberal (Ok, even though she listed this, I found it humorous and couldn't help including it...)
Gay Straight Alliance
Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin (also Gay)
Day of Silence
Neal Patrick Harris
Chris Crutcher (author of books such as Whale Talk - see example HERE)
Brent Hartinger (gay youth novelist who writes gay novels)
Our YOUNG ADULT LIBRARIAN also has a list of her favorite books she recommends, such as:
Alt Ed - See excerpts HERE.
Whale Talk - See excerpts HERE.
Rats Saw God - See excerpts HERE (scroll down to title).
Geography Club - See excerpts HERE.
...and other deplorable titles that expose and encourage the youth in our community to subject materials that are sexually explicit and/or inappropriate.
Draw your own conclusions. The evidence is clear.
This is what the WEST BEND COMMUNITY MEMORIAL LIBRARY was asked to do for its youth and the community they serve:
1. Reclassification of Youth-Targeted Pornographic Books into the adult section of the library. ANSWER: NO.
2. Visual identification of explicit material with a parental advisory. ANSWER: NO.
3. Restrict Library-generated Online Sexual Content. ANSWER: NO.
4. Balanced Literature on Controversial Issues including homosexuality. ANSWER: NO.
5. Children's Internet Protection – require the libraries to implement technology protection to protect minors from internet porn on public computers in accordance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act. ANSWER: NO
What can you do?
1. Write a letter to the West Bend Common Council expressing your concerns, requesting they look into the above issues. Be sure to "cc" the Library Board!
2. Check out the books on the YA list HERE or HERE. Read them. Note the vulgarities, profanity, explicit sex.... Ask for a "Request for Reconsideration" form. Fill it out. Have others do same. Take them to the library and ask for reclassification of offensive and sexually explicit materials for minors.
3. Call your local library director, Michael Tyree, and request changes in policy to reflect the above requests.
4. Write a letter to your local library board to request changes in policy to reflect the above requests.
Love your community. Hold your library accountable. Your taxes pay for these materials. The library staff is accountable to YOU.