Welcome..... Wissup??

WISSUP - WISCONSIN SPEAKS UP


Copyright (c) 2009 Ginny Maziarka. All rights reserved.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Generational Christmas Tradition....

My grandmother (full German) made Christmas stollen each year as a special treat, and my mother learned the skill from her.  Each year my mother carried on the tradition of making the rich dough, full of egg yolks, sugar and REAL butter, kneading in the candied fruit (we only use red and green candied cherries - no citron) and raisins.  She would top them off with a homemade butter-cream frosting, more fruit, and slivered almonds.  I continued the tradition when she no longer could manage it, having watched and learned from the best.  I would hand-deliver these sweet German breads to my grandparents, mother and father, and my brothers every Christmas Eve, when we gathered together to celebrate.  My grandparents and parents are now gone, but the old German tradition continues.  My daughters are both avid yeast-bread bakers, and I fulfilled the tradition this year with my eldest daughter, taking turns kneading and shaping, slathering with melted butter and delivering.  It's one of my favorite memories.....


MERRY CHRISTMAS!
For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Saviour, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men!" ~ Luke 2:11-14

No comments: