LIBRARY BOARD MEETING IS THURSDAY, MARCH 26, AT 6:30 P.M.
SILVERBROOK MIDDLE SCHOOL
West Bend Library Home Page: http://www.west-bendlibrary.org/
Out of the Closet book recommendations on WB Library website: http://www.west-bendlibrary.org/yaglbtq.htm
ACLU statement: http://wissup.blogspot.com/2009/03/aclu-we-are-not-afraid.html and http://wissup.blogspot.com/2009/03/aclu-misinformed.html
WHY THE ACLU? http://wissup.blogspot.com/2009/03/agenda-exposed-aclu.html
KEWASKUM STATESMAN statement: http://wissup.blogspot.com/2009/03/kewaskum-statesman-refuses-to-share.html
WHAT WE ARE ASKING FOR: http://wissup.blogspot.com/2009/02/west-bend-library-thumbs-nose-at.html
Our requests are three-fold:
1. To bring balance to the YA Zone as well as the adult section of our library by providing faith-based and ex-“gay” books that oppose a pro-homosexual ideology .
2. That the book recommendation list under the name “Out of the Closet”, which brings a pro-homosexual connotation to the list, be renamed and include an equal balance of faith-based and ex-“gay” books that oppose a pro-homosexual ideology.
3. We are asking for the removal of “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” and “The Geography Club” for their explicit pornographic sexual nature. We have additionally requested "Deal With It!" be withheld, as it appears that it is in the works for our YA Zone.
Our Library’s policy, in part B, states that they will endeavor to acquire materials that “meet the community’s needs and interests.” We expect our public library to protect our children and empower parents to decide what their children can read.
EXCERPTS (WARNING! SEXUALLY EXPLICIT! Do not click on the "excerpts" links if you do not wish to view pornographic and sexually graphic material.)
1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower: The entire book can be found here: http://www.wattpad.com/112156-The-Perks-of-Being-A-Wallflower-Stephen-Chbosky or select exerpts can be found here: http://www.librarypatrons.org/book.asp?ID=56
2. Deal with it! : http://www.librarypatrons.org/book.asp?ID=24
3. The Geography Club: http://www.librarypatrons.org/book.asp?ID=31
AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION, policies 53.1.15, 53.9 and 53.12: http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/governance/policymanual/index.cfm#S2-53%20Intellectual%20Freedom
WISCONSIN STATE STATUTES: http://wsll.state.wi.us/topic/familylaw/childexpl.html
HELPFUL PARENTAL LINKS (gives excerpts of books that a parent may be questioning):
3. http://www.librarypatrons.org/book.asp?ID=24 (our favorite)
"How did we get here?" QUOTE read on the air by Dan Kleinman (view entire article here): http://www.metrovoice.net/www.metrovoice.net/2008/0908_stlweb/0908_articles/whos_controlling_county_libraries.html
STATEMENT FROM WISCONSIN FAMILY COUNCIL: http://wissup.blogspot.com/2009/02/wfc-disses-west-bend-library.html